MAKE YOUR HOME SHINE WITH OUTDOOR LIGHTING! The exterior of the home is a source of pride for most people. Make it shine with a well thought-out exterior lighting plan from Lighting By The Sea. When you stop by our store, our lighting experts will talk to you about your site plan, and show you how outdoor and exterior lighting can add to the beauty, enjoyment and functionality of your home.
There are many reasons why you should light the exterior of your home. Foremost is functionality. A well thought-out outdoor lighting plan will identify a driveway entrance and primary access to the home and provides a warm, inviting glow at the entrance of your home. Lighting the back deck and patio expand the livable area of your home and help to identify steps, handrails, water features and paths.
Most people spend a lot of time and money on the exterior of their homes. Outdoor lighting can heighten the effect of your landscape and add dramatic emphasis to highlight your home’s architectural features and other details.
At Lighting by the Sea we will help you with your exterior lighting. We will strive to exceed your expectations and keep you within your budget.
[info_box]Outdoor Lighting Tips (Click for more tips)
1) Proper sizing of outdoor lanterns is critical to the finished appearance of your home. Exterior lanterns look larger in the lighting showroom than they will on your home. In essence they shrink when installed.
2) Material and finish is particularly important when the home is near salt air and water. Raw solid copper and brass is best for longevity.
3) LED is fast becoming the lighting source of choice for outdoor use. There are no bulbs to change and the cost of powering LED is 1/10 the cost of incandescent. While LED is a little more expensive initially it pays for itself quickly in decreased electrical demand.
4) To increase the enjoyment of your exterior lighting, place outdoor and landscape lighting in areas that can be viewed from inside your home. In this way, exterior lighting creates another layer in your overall lighting plan.[/info_box]
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Besides safety, why should I install outdoor lighting?
Outdoor lighting enhances the beauty of your home and property while making your home more secure. Exterior lighting can assume a dramatic role. It is ironic that it is the most neglected and overlooked area for residential lighting. Appropriate exterior lighting adds a warm and welcome mood to your home. The design of the lanterns should complement the architecture of the home.
2. What are the advantages and drawbacks of low voltage versus LED outdoor lights?
We are seeing more decorative styles of lanterns that come with a dedicated LED light source and this will continue to increase. Landscape lighting is typically low voltage. The light source in these fixtures can be halogen or LED. LED has the advantage of a long life light source (without replacing the bulb) but is more expensive to purchase initially.
3. What are the benefits of using a professional versus doing it myself?
We can guide you through the selection and purchase of the appropriate design, size, and finish of the decorative lantern in our showroom. Proper sizing of the lantern is critical to the finished appearance of your home. Exterior lanterns look larger in the lighting showroom than they will on your home. In essence they shrink when installed. Material and finish is particularly important when the home is near salt air and water. Raw solid copper and brass is best for longevity.
4. What changes have you seen in outdoor lighting since you began working in the field?
Many outdoor lighting considerations have not changed over the last thirty years. The appropriate sizing of the decorative lantern and selection of a practical material and finish are key to our customers’ long term satisfaction. New considerations are LED light sources which will continue to grow. Dark-Sky light pollution considerations are important to some people and neighborhoods.