Safety Inspections for Your Lamps
A couple of days ago, my in-laws experienced a lamp fire in their home. It was a scary experience and could have done major damage had it not been for the quick reactions of my 86-year old mother-in-law. The lamp literally exploded and within seconds caught the lampshade and chair on fire. Luckily she was in the room and kept the fire from spreading to the sheer curtains behind her chair by beating out the fire with a throw pillow. She received first and second degree burns on her hands as a result.
The fire started in the socket of her favorite floor lamp that had seen years of daily use. Most people don’t realize the huge levels of heat that build up in the wiring of a lamp. Over time, electrical components degrade, become brittle, and can become a fire hazard.
Had she not been right there to stop the blaze, fire sprinklers would have caused major damage, or worse, my in-laws could have lost their home and contents to a fire caused by something as simple as an aging lamp socket.
Here are a few tips to keep your home safe from lamp fires.
1) ALWAYS turn off your lamps before leaving your home for any period of time.
2) NEVER install a bulb that is rated higher than the socket allows.
3) Consider using LED bulbs in all lamps. They last 12 to 20 times longer than incandescent bulbs, are cool to the touch and use only 1/10 of the energy.
4) Take any older lamps that get daily use to a local lighting showroom for a SAFETY INSPECTION.
Lamp fires are increasing in frequency. Call today to make an appointment. It could save your life and/or your home.